Root Vegetable Kimpira
|Source||Moto Priestman of Okan Brixton|
Kinpira is traditionally made with braised burdock root and carrot, but any other root vegetables, such as swede, celeriac or parsnips, will work too.
1. Thinly cut your root vegetable into matchsticks that are a bit thinner than your little finger
2. Put sesame oil in a pan on medium-high heat and stir fry the root veg for 3-5 minutes
3. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, and put the lid on. Cook until the roots gets soft
4. In a separate bowl, mix soy sauce, mirin, sake/white wine, honey/brown sugar and salt to make a sauce. Pour sauce into the pan and mix quickly with roots until the liquid is almost all gone
5. Serve in a bowl and add white sesame seeds and bonito tuna flakes to finish