Onion tarte tatin
|Prep time||40 minutes|
|Cooking time||20 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour|
Tasty savoury variation on a french classic.
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions, cook on a medium heat for about 30 minutes, stiring regularly, till soft.
2. Season, add the thyme leaves and stir through the cheese.
3. Make the dough by outting the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and mustard powder), in a large bowl and mix. Mix together the egg, milk and butter, stir into the bowl, to make a sticky dough.
4. Butter a 20 to 23cm pie dish. Tip in the onion and level.
5. Gather up the dough, (flour your hands) and spread over the onion.
6. Bake in the oven at 180c for 20to 25 minutes.
7. Cool slightly and invert onto a plate.
You can use white onions instead of red, add a teaspoon of sugar to sweeten them up a bit.