Green Pea Dhal Bread
These delicious dhal bread rolls are perfect as a snack, a lunchtime side to a salad, or a healthy accompaniment to south asian curries and stews. Besides Hodmedod's Green Pea Flour they contain a host of other healthy ingredients like chia seeds and coconut flour.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Make the chia gel: soak the chia seeds in the water for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure evenly hydrated.
- Temper the spices: heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium / high high. Add the mustard seeds and let them start popping. After 10-15 seconds of popping, add chopped curry leaves, grated ginger and garam masala. Cook for a few minutes whilst stirring, the mixture should start to brown and the oil will separate from it. Pour into a bowl with the cooked lentils and raw spinach - mix well and leave to cool.
- In a separate bowl, sieve together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk, 60ml of rapeseed oil and the chia gel.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly to combine and remove all lumps.
- Fold the vegetable mix into the batter.
- Split mix evenly between greased muffin tins and sprinkle with sunflower seeds
- Bake for around 30-35 minutes, until well risen and a deep brown colour. Allow to cool in the tins for 10-15 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.