Ful medames: Spicy Fava stew
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||40 minutes|
|Total time||55 minutes|
The naitonal dish of Egypt, ful medames is delicious spicy stew which is traditionally eaten for breakfast!
500 gwhole dried Fava Beans
25 gcorriander (fresh )
10 gParsely (fresh)
1⁄2 tcayene pepper
1 1⁄2 tcumin
300 mltomato passata
1 ttomate paste
- If using dried beans, soak them overnight. Drain, place in a pan, cover with plenty of water and cook until tender – about 35 - 40 minutes in a pressure cooker, an hour or more if boiling.
- If using canned beans, simply open the cans, drain and rinse the beans.
- Chop the onion and garlic until very fine (or puree in a food processor), fry gently in a little oil. Meanwhile chop and mix (or blend) the herbs, oil, lemon juice, chilli and spices.
- Add the spice and herb mix to the onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add the passata and tomato paste plus 100ml of water (use it to wash the remains of the passata out of the jar or packet it came in).
- Cook for a few more minutes and then add the beans, continue to simmer and taste – add sugar, salt and pepper to adjust seasoning. The beans are ready as soon as the seasoning is balanced, though you can leave them to reduce for a thicker sauce.
- Eat straight away and/or cool and freeze in portions. Delicious eaten with pitta bread, tomato salad and a fried egg!