Root Vegetable Kimpira
Kinpira is traditionally made with braised burdock root and carrot, but any other root vegetables, such as swede, celeriac or parsnips, will work too.
- 400g root vegetables. Swede, celeriac, parsnips are all good options
- 4 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoon mirin
- 4 tablespoon sake or white wine
- 2 tablespoon honey or soft brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- Thinly cut your root vegetables into matchsticks that are a bit thinner than your little finger
- Put sesame oil in a pan on medium-high heat and stir fry the root veg for 3-5 minutes
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, and put the lid on. Cook until the roots gets soft.
- In a separate bowl, mix soy sauce, mirin, sake/white wine, honey/brown sugar and salt to make a sauce. Pour sauce into the pan and mix quickly with roots until the liquid is almost all gone
- Serve in a bowl and add white sesame seeds and bonito tuna flakes to finish