Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Leek Soup
The broccoli really gives depth and earthiness to this creamy soup.
- 50g butter
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 leeks, washed and finely sliced
- 845ml vegetable stock
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli, washed and trimmed
- 200ml milk
- Melt half the butter in a large saucepan, add the potatoes and 2 of the leeks. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, without browning.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cook for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blend until smooth.
- Add the milk, season to taste, then reheat gently.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a frying pan and fry the remaining leek, until lightly caramelised.
- Serve the soup with the fried leek sprinkled on top.