Lovely addition to your christmas cheese platter
- 500g pears peeled, halved and cored
- 250g caster sugar
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 250ml white wine vinegar
- 1.5 cm piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon whole allspice berries, lightly crushed
- 10 cloves
- ½ a lemon
- Peel the zest from the lemon and put in a pan with the cloves, peppercorns, allspice berries, sliced ginger, lemon juice, vinegar, cinnamon sticks and sugar. Stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Peel, core and halve the pears, then add to the pan and simmer for 15 mins, until the pears are tender. Remove the pears with a slotted spoon and put in a colander to drain. Meanwhile, increase the heat under the syrup and boil rapidly for 15 mins, until the syrup has reduced by about a third and slightly thickened.
- Pack the fruit into warmed jars and pour over the hot syrup to cover. Seal, label and store in a cool dry place.