Indian style stir fry
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 dried red chilli
- 5 cm piece of fresh ginger, finely shredded
- 3 small onions, finely sliced
- 1 green chilli, chopped with or without seeds
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried turmeric
- 0.4 teaspoon cayenne
- 250g paneer, diced
- 3 tomatoes, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan or wok over a medium heat and add the cumin seeds, whole dried chilli and about two-thirds of the shredded ginger, and fry for 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Add the onions and green chilli and fry for 5–6 minutes, or until the onions are just softening but not browned and still have a little crunch.
- Add the peppers, salt, turmeric and chilli powder, and fry for a further 3–4 minutes.
- Lower the heat, add the paneer to the pan and gently stir everything together for about five minutes.
- Add the tomato and heat through. Stir in the vinegar, ground cumin and garam masala, scatter with the remaining shredded ginger, and serve.