A quick and lightly spiced Indian cheese and spinach dish.
- 500g spinach, washed, trimmed and finely chopped
- 250g paneer, chopped into 1.5cm cubes
- 2.5 cube of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 1 fresh green chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- pinch of cayene pepper
- 5 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon single cream
- Blend the ginger, garlic and chilli together with 50ml of water till you have a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, reduce heat to medium.
- Place all the paneer on the pan in a single layer, fry till golden brown, turn over and fry the other side.
- Spread the paneer on a plate, sprinkle over the garam masala, cayenne pepper and half a teaspoon of salt.
- Put the paste from the blender into the pan, stir and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach and half teaspoon of salt, mix well.
- Cover the pan, lower the heat and cook the spinach for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time to stop it sticking.
- Stir in the paneer and cream, cover and continue to cook on a low heat for 10 more minutes.
Frozen spinach can be used instead of fresh. Other seasonal greens can also be used.