Healthy Living Platform Ghanaian Spinach Stew
Diane is a Healthy Living Platform food ambassador, and she is from Ghana. As a child this was her favourite dish. Here’s the story of how she learnt to make it: “I actually learnt it from my granmum who I called 'MaMa.' When I went to her for holidays as a very fussy toddler, I wouldn’t eat anything she made. One day she took me to her farm and I picked the spinach and we sang and danced like the leaves. We came home and she prepared the spinach and served it with green boiled plantains. I ate so much, according to her, that I threw up! And the rest is history.”
200g fresh spinach, chopped (or 8 cubes of frozen spinach)
1 vegetable stock cube
3 fresh tomatoes or 1 tin of tomatoes
1 small onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dry ginger
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Blend the tomatoes and onion together.
- Heat a large frying pan and add 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil.
- Add the blended tomatoes and onion, stir and leave to simmer for five minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of ginger and stir. Add the vegetable stock, stir and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- If it starts to stick at the bottom, add a little water.
- Add the chopped or frozen spinach and leave for five minutes.
- Taste and check that the spinach is cooked through.
- Serve over rice or boiled sweet plantains.