Gratin of Pumpkin or Squash
Gratin of pumpkin or squash
- 400g squash or pumpkin, flesh removed, de-seeded and diced
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 50g gruyere, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 25g butter, plus more to butter the dish
- Place the squash/pumpkin and 4 tablespoons of water in a saucepan, cover and cook for 20 mins till tender.
- Remove the lid and boil to evaporate the water, set aside to cool. Preheat the over to 180c.
- Beat the egg yokes and sugar together. Slightly mash the squash and add to the egg along with two thirds of the cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a seperate bowl till soft peaks form, whisk in the lemon juice. Carefully fold into the puree mixture, tast and adjust seasoning.
- Butter a 24x30cm gratin dish. Pour in the mixture, sprinkle over the remaining cheese and dot with the butter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
To make a tart, line a 28cm tin or dish with a short pastry made with 250g of flour and 200g of butter.