Coconut and Spinach Dhal
Fragrant and colourful
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground corriander
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 250g yellow split peas
- 500 ml water
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 200g spinach, washed and shredded
- 1 bunch corriander, finely chopped
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry for a minute or two until starting to brown.
Stir in the onion, reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook, stirring often for 10 minutes or until soft.
Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, ground coriander and chilli (if using), stir well and cook for a further minute.
Add the rest of the ingredients, apart from the spinach and bring to the boil then reduce to a low heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are cooked through.
Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and add a dash more water if it's starting to look dry.
When the lentils are cooked stir through the shredded spinach and heat until wilted.
Serve with the finely chopped coriander leaves and rice or chapatis.