- 4 cup aubergine, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 0.5 cup green pepper, chopped
- 0.5 cup red pepper, chopped
- 0.75 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cup canned plum tomatoes, drained, reserve the juice
- 0.5 teaspoon pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon dried oregano
- 0.5 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 0.5 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoon capers, drained
- Place aubergine in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let drain for 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large flameproof casserole or dutch oven. Pat aubergine dry and add to the casserole. Saute over medium heat until soft and lightly browned, 10 min. Using a slotted spoon, remove aubergine and set aside. Add remaining oil, then onion, bell peppers, and celery to casserole. Saute over medium heat until the vegetables are softened, 10 minutes. Return aubergine to casserole.
- Add tomatoes, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic, parsley, olives, and capers. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, 45 minutes. If the mixture starts sticking while cooking, add reserved juice in small amounts. Serve hot or at room temperature.