Broad Bean Paté
Broad Bean paté
- 750g broad beans, fresh and removed from pods, or frozen
- 200g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 bunch fresh mint, roughly chopped
- dash of fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the broad beans in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. They should still be firm. Drain and leave to cool a little.
- Shell the broad beans, then blitz in a food processor with the mint, olive oil and lemon juice to a rough paste.
- Stir in the parmesan - or blitz again for a smoother paté
- Add salt and pepper to taste and more lemon juice, oil or water if the paté is too thick.
- Spread on toasted ciabatta for delicious summery bruschetta.
NOTES: For a vegan option, leave out the parmesan and try adding a pinch or two of ground cumin instead. Broad Beans are a great source of protein and carbohydrates, as well as vitamins A, B1 and B2. In the US, they're known as fava beans. They're at their best between June and September.