Briased Fennel and Celariac with Pastis
For this dish, allow a minimum of one large fennel bulb per person.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, cut into 8 lengthways
- 1 celariac, peeled and cut into chips
- 50g butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon pastis
- 100 mg white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon parsley chopped
- Set the oven to 150C/300F/gas mark
- Heat the oil in a lidded, ovenproof cooking pot over a low-medium flame. Add the fennel and celeriac, season and turn them in the oil until lightly gilded – about 15 minutes or so.
- Add the butter and allow to froth, then turn down the heat. Season and add the pastis and wine. Spoon these juices over the veg, add the lemon juice and bubble gently. Cover and put in the oven for 1 hour, until soft and meltingly tender. Stir in the parsley and serve directly from the pot.