Beetroot and Pearl Barley Risotto
Reboot your system with this lovely warming rissotto!
- 2 beetroot, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon rapeseed oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 60g pearl barley
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 0.5 lemon, juiced
- handful of chives, finely chopped
- 60g sunflower seeds toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the beetroot on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Then place the beetroot in a small food processor and blitz to a coarse paste. Set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and add in the shallot and garlic and saute for 5 minutes until lightly golden. Then add the celery, pearl barley and thyme and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now gradually add the stock, about 150ml each time; once it has been absorbed, add another 150ml. Repeat this until the pearl barley is cooked. It should take around 25 minutes.
- Now add in the beetroot paste, lemon juice and chives; combine and heat through for a few minutes, making sure there is still enough liquid in the dish.
- Serve with the toasted sunflower seeds.