Veggie Guinness Pie
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cooking time||30 minutes|
|Total time||50 minutes|
This is a generous sized pie, full of classic veg and with great flavouring.
By veggie, this refers to the use of veg and not strictly to it being vegetarian as isinglass, a fish product, is using in the production of Guinness to remove extra yeast. If this is a concern, try Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout or another vegan beer.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Chop the potatoes and boil until tender (about 1520 minutes)
- Finely chop celery, onions and mushrooms. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot and add chopped vegetables. Cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add flour to the softened onion mixture and stir to coat. Cook for 2 minutes. Pour in Guinness, add carrots and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients (tomato paste, Worcester sauce, stock and herbs) and simmer for a couple minutes to allow the flavours to combine.
- Roll out two pastry sheets, use one to line the dish and then add the mixture to the pastry. Add the top and close the pie. Brush with a mixture of beaten egg and milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pastry is crispy and golden, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Salt and pepper to taste.