Traditional Welsh Cakes
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||40 minutes|
|Total time||55 minutes|
This St David's Day try your hand at making these traditional cakes. You can add cheese, leeks or any other savoury combination to them the only stipulation -serve warm!
- Sieve flour into bowl, then add margarine or butter, rub in finely together.
- Add sugar and sultanas and mix.
- Add 1 egg and mix. The consistency needs to be bound together, so if too dry add another egg.
- Roll out on a floured board, to about a quarter inch thick.
- Cut using a 2 inch (approx) cutter, then cook on a greased pan, or bake stone, on a medium heat for about 4 to 5 minutes each side.
- The exact cooking length will depend on what you are cooking your Welsh cakes on, but keep a close eye - too short a period and they won’t be cooked in middle, and cooked for too long and they will be dry. When touched during cooking they should feel springy, but not wet to the touch (no mixture should come out of the middle).
- Once cooked dust with castor sugar and enjoy.