Split Green Pea Soup with Mint
200 gsplit green peas
1 tvegetable bouillon powder
2 TRapeseed Oil
3 clvgarlic (chopped)
1onion (finely chopped)
- Wash the green split peas in a colander, then place in saucepan cover with cold water, and leave to soak for 2 hours. They can be cooked without soaking, but will take longer.
- Rinse and drain. Put the peas back into the saucepan. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Allow to boil for ten minutes. Skim any scum from the surface of the water.
- Add the bouillon powder, grated carrot, spinach and bay leaves. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and cook the onion and garlic. Add this to the soup mixture. Season with salt and pepper, and add more water if needed. Simmer for five minutes more.
- Serve topped with chopped mint and homemade croutons.