Hodmedod's Carlin Pea Chili Bowl
1 Tolive oil
1 tgarlic puree (or three minced garlic cloves)
1 tred wine vinegar
pnbrown sugar (optional)
400 gchopped tomatoes
1 Ttomato puree
400 gcarlin peas (soaked and cooked if starting from dry)
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan, finely dice red onion and add to pan.
- Season and sweat until the red onion begins to soften before adding the garlic puree. Cover and cook until the red onion is transparent. Add the red wine vinegar and pinch of sugar (if using) and gently sweat for a few minutes further.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato puree and season generously. Fill the empty can with water or vegetable stock and swill out any excess juice into the pan. Simmer gently for around 40 minutes, breaking the tomatoes up with the back of a spoon.
- Drain and rinse the carlin peas and add to the sauce along with the harissa paste. Finely mince the chilli and add to pan. Check for seasoning and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- Finely chop the spinach and add to the pan. Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes until it has fully wilted. Check for seasoning and serve.
- Divide the chilli between 2-3 bowls and top with sliced or mashed avocado, a smattering of hemp seeds and a side of tortilla chips.