Green Garlic and Chive Soufflé
|Prep time||50 minutes|
|Cooking time||20 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour, 10 minutes|
This puffy soufflé is filled with chopped green garlic, chives and plenty of Gruyère cheese.
1 Tparmesan (grated)
2bulbs green garlic
cflour (quarter of a cup)
2sprigs of thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 2-quart gratin dish and sprinkle bottom and sides with Parmesan. Using a sharp knife or food processor, mince garlic.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and let cook for 1 minute. Add flour and cook, whisking, until mixture is pale golden, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the milk and thyme sprigs, and continue to cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick and smooth, about 2 minutes longer.
- Turn off heat and whisk in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in egg yolks, one at a time. Whisk in minced garlic, cheese and chives.
- In a mixer, whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks. Using a spatula, fold a third of the whites into yolk mixture to lighten it, then fold in remaining whites, taking care not to overmix. As you fold, pluck out and discard thyme sprigs.
- Spread mixture in prepared pan and smooth top. Bake until golden brown and puffed, 20 to 25 minutes.