Creamed cabbage, potato and Gruyere tart
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cooking time||1 hour|
|Total time||1 hour, 20 minutes|
Two homely ingredients, cabbage and potato, combine to delicious effect in Sophie Grigson's recipe for a tasty savoury flan
450 gshortcrust pastry
350 gspring pointed cabbage (cooked, shredded )
310 gnew potatoes (scrubbed, washed and sliced)
110 ggruyere cheese (grated)
375 mlsingle cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a greased 23-25 cm tart tin with a removable base.
- Chill the pastry case for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, then line with greaseproof paper or foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove baking beans and paper or foil, then bake the pastry case for a further 5-10 minutes to dry out, without letting it brown.
- To make the filling, squeeze as much water as you can out of the cabbage with your hands.
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling, salted water for about 4-5 minutes until just tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Mix together the cabbage, potato and all but 2 tablespoons of the Gruyere.
- Beat the cream with the eggs and season generously with salt, freshly ground pepper and grated nutmeg.
- Place the tart tin on a baking sheet. Fill the pastry case with the cabbage and potato mixture, smoothing down. Pour in the cream mixture and sprinkle the remaining Gruyere over the surface.
- Carefully transfer the tart, on its baking tray, to the oven, and bake for about 35-45 minutes until just set and lightly browned on top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature