Country Rhubarb Cake
|Prep time||30 minutes|
|Cooking time||1 hour|
|Total time||1 hour, 30 minutes|
This delicious juicy cake is made with an enriched soda bread dough. You can vary the fruit with the seasons.
1. Sift the flour, salt & baking soda into a bowl, add the sugar and rub in the butter.
2. Beat the egg and the milk together, reserve a little for glazing.
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in most of the liquid and mix to a soft dough. Add the rest if needed.
4. Grease the pie plate with butter.
5. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Divide into 2 pieces. Roll out the first piece to fit the pie plate.
6. Scatter the rhubarb and sugar over the base, brush the edges with water.
7. Roll out the second piece of dough and fit on top. Press the edges to seal.
8. Cut a hole in the centre for the steam to escape and brush with the reserved egg glaze.
9. Bake in the oven at 180c for 45 mins to 1 hour, till the rhubarb is soft and crust is golden.
10. Serve with softly whipped cream
You will need a 20cm enamel or pyrex pie plate.