Beetroot & Chocolate cake
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cooking time||30 minutes|
|Total time||50 minutes|
If you haven’t yet discovered the wonderful cake combination that is beetroot and chocolate, this is the perfect introductory recipe. Try it with a dollop of crème fraîche.
250 gbeetroot (peeled and cooked)
200 gdark chocolate (70% coca solids )
4 Thot espresso
135 gPlain flour
1 tbaking powder (heaped)
3 Tcocoa powder
5free range eggs (seperated)
190 gcaster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease a 20cm/8in cake tin with a little butter and line the bottom of the tin with a disc of baking parchment.
- Blend the beetroot in a food processor to a rough purée.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of hot water (do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water), then pour in the hot coffee.
- Stir in the butter in small pieces and leave to soften. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa together in a bowl and set aside.
- Separate the eggs. Whisk the yolks in a bowl until frothy. Stir the eggs into the chocolate and butter mixture, then fold in the beetroot.
- Whisk the egg whites until still peaks form when the whisk is removed. Fold in the sugar.
- Fold the sugar and egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the flour and cocoa mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin, then serve with crème fraîche or double cream.