Beetroot and Pearl Barley Risotto
|Prep time||30 minutes|
|Cooking time||40 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour, 10 minutes|
Reboot your system with this lovely warming rissotto!
2beetroot (peeled and diced)
1 tRapeseed Oil
1Shallot ( finely chopped)
1Celery stick (finely chopped)
60 gpearl barley
2Sprigs thyme, leaves
600 mlVegetable stock
1Handful chives (finely chopped )
60 gSunflower seed (toasted)
- Place the beetroot on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Then place the beetroot in a small food processor and blitz to a coarse paste. Set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and add in the shallot and garlic and saute for 5 minutes until lightly golden. Then add the celery, pearl barley and thyme and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now gradually add the stock, about 150ml each time; once it has been absorbed, add another 150ml. Repeat this until the pearl barley is cooked. It should take around 25 minutes.
- Now add in the beetroot paste, lemon juice and chives; combine and heat through for a few minutes, making sure there is still enough liquid in the dish.
- Serve with the toasted sunflower seeds.