Apple, Pear & Custard Pie Bars
|Prep time||30 minutes|
|Cooking time||1 hour|
|Total time||1 hour, 30 minutes|
Over the buttery crust the soften apple slices are laid, custard is poured to hold everything in place and when it’s almost done the streusel topping is spread over.
When cooled the bars are cut to enjoy a soft, moist cinnamon flavored bar.
To make the crust
To make the topping
To make the apple filling
To make the custard
- Line a 11X7 pan with parchment paper (I prefer the pan lining paper from Reynolds), leaving some paper hanging over the longer sides.
- In the food processor bowl add the flour, sugar, butter, egg yolk, water. Pulse a couple of times until it forms a ball. if it’s too dry add few more drops of water.
- With floured hands roll the the into the bottom of the prepared pan, with just 1/2 inch on the sides. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the topping followed by the filling and heat the oven to 375F.
- When the crust is chilled cover it with parchment paper, fill it with dry beans/uncooked dry rice/baking beads and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the paper and the beans, reduce the oven temperature to 350F and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Cool completely.
- In the food processor bowl (since it’s already dirty from the crust) add all the ingredients and pulse until it comes together. It’s gonna be a very soft dough.
- Place it on a plastic foil, cover with another foil and shape into a 1 inch thick log. Place it in the freezer until ready to use.
- Core and slice the apples. Optional you can peel them. I didn't.
- Put them in a sauce pan, along with the sugar, water and cinnamon. Cover and cook over low heat for about 13 minutes or until the slices soften.
- Remove the lid and cook a little more until the liquid evaporates. I didn’t stir at all the apple slices and the bottom ones got a little caramel on them. It was amazing!
- Cool completely.
- When the crust and the filling are cooled, spread the apple slices on top of the crust.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar, and heavy cream. Pour over the apple slices.
- Put the pie in the heated oven (350F) and bake for 25 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Take it out of the oven (without turning off the oven) and grate the topping. I found it’s easier to grate the topping in the food processor so the heat for the hands don’t soften the dough.
- Bake for further 15 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing.