- 2 portobello mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 6 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 100g hard cheese, such as gruyere, manchego or mature cheddar
- 75g smoked streaky bacon, chopped
Heat some olive oil in a pan and add the onion, cook on a low heat till soft, but don't brown. Add the bacon, raise heat and cook till fat drops, add chopped mushroom stems and thyme and fry for 5 minutes over a medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and add the lemon juice, mix and empty into a bowl. Wipe any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan add more oil, season the mushrooms and place in the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, turn over and cook for a further 5 mins. Mix the garlic, parsley, lemon zest and breadcrumbs together. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, place the cooked mushrooms on the sheet, underside upwards. Fill with the onion mixture, then the cheese, sliced or grated, and cover with the breadcrumb mix. Place in preheated oven (180c) for 5 to 8 minutes till topping is golden and crispy. Serve immediately.
Goes well with pasta tossed in olive oil or crusty bread and a green salad on the side. Quick and easy lunch or supper.