A quick and simple sauce that adds a bit of 'je ne sais quoi' to fish or chicken dishes
- 1 bunch of sorrel, gently washed and woody stems removed
- 1 egg yolk
- 25g butter
- 3 tablespoon cream or creme fraiche
- Gently melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Finely shred the sorrel leaves, add them to the melted butter and cook very gently for a few minutes – stirring every now and then.
- Add the cream or crème fraiche and warm through but don’t let it quite boil, then remove from the heat.
- Allow the sauce to cool slightly then add a sprinkle of salt, pepper and a small pinch of sugar.
- Serve over cooked fish, chicken or poached eggs.