Roasted Butternut Squash, Radicchio and Onion
Butternut squash, radicchio and onion roasted in the oven and tossed with olive oil, toasted pine nuts and grated cheese.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges through the root
- 1 radicchio head, cut into wedges through the root
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 205°C and line a baking tray or two, depending on the quantity of veg you have. Toss the squash chunks, onion and radicchio wedges in olive oil and salt them well. The radicchio, onion, and squash will roast at different speeds, so you will need to staggar their timing in the oven. Start by putting the squash on the tray and into the oven. It will need about 45 min total roasting time. About 10 min later, add the onions to the tray. It will need about 35 mintues total roasting time. After another 10 min, add the radicchio, which will need about 25 mintues total roasting time. Roast the vegetables until their edges are nicely caramelized, turning the radicchio and onion wedges over about halfway through the roasting. In all cases, do not remove from the oven until you see browning on the edges.
- While the vegetables are roasting, toast the pine nuts. Heat a small pan on medium high heat. Add the pine nuts in a single layer. Cook until lightly toasted. Remove from heat to a bowl to keep the nuts from burning.
- Once all the vegetables are cool enough to handle, roughly chop the radicchio and onion into manageable pieces. Place the radicchio, onion, and butternut squash in a large serving bowl. Add the pine nuts and parsley. Add black pepper to taste. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Stir gently to combine, taking care not to squish the soft roasted squash.
- To serve, sprinkle with some grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese.