Leek, Taleggio and Thyme Pie
The creamy taleggio and leeks cook down together to form a delicious, gooey filling, and the thyme adds a fresh note.
- 1 potato, peeled and sliced
- 3 leeks, washed and sliced into rounds
- good knob of butter
- 20ml double cream
- 180g taleggio, or similar cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 thyme sprig, leaves picked
- 500g puff pastry, rolled out
- egg for wash
- Heat an oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Cook the baking potato in boiling salted water until just tender, then drain and set aside.
- Cook the leeks over a medium heat in the butter until tender. Season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut the pastry in two and roll out each piece into a 3mm-thick circle. Place one circle on top of a 25cm nonstick pie dish and press into the base – there will be an overhang, which can be trimmed off.
- Spoon the leek mixture into the prepared dish and place the other pastry disk on top. Crimp around the sides to seal, then brush the top with egg and make an incision in the middle of the lid to let the steam escape while it's in the oven.
- Cook the pie for 30 - 40 minutes until the pastry has turned golden and crisp. Rest for a few minutes before serving.
In a bowl, mix the potato flesh with the leeks, cream, taleggio and thyme leaves and season well.