Soul Food Collard Greens
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cooking time||30 minutes|
|Total time||40 minutes|
These fresh collard greens are simmered away in a rich chicken broth infused with flavors from fresh onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and that smokey, salty turkey leg
1 Tolive oil
1white onion ( finely diced)
3 clvgarlic (minced)
3 cChicken broth
1 tred pepper flakes
1Large smoked turkey leg
32 ozCollard greens. (thoroughly washed and cut into strip)
- In a large deep skillet or pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add in onions and cook until tender.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, red pepper flakes and smoked turkey.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and boil lightly for about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove turkey leg and let cool.
- Remove meat from bone and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Return meat and skin back to the pot.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add collard greens to pot, pushing them down if needed.
- When greens begin to wilt down, cover and simmer for up to 60 minutes or until your desired texture is reached, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Plate the greens and pour on a few drops of hot sauce.
- Serve hot.