Rhubarb and Almond Loaf Cake
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cooking time||1 hour|
|Total time||1 hour, 20 minutes|
Turn your spring rhubarb into a delicious rhubarb and almond loaf cake!
1. Preheat oven to 170C (325F), Gas mark 3. Grease loaf tin with butter and dust with flour.
2. Place rhubarb in saucepan with sugar, butter and 50ml (1 3/4fl oz) of water. Cook on a medium heat, stirring frequently until rhubarb softens. Remove pan from hob and set aside to cool completely.
3. Using a hand-held electric whisk or freestanding mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time mixing well on a medium speed.
4. Sift together flour, baking powder, ground almonds, cinnamon and ginger, then add half the mixture to the creamed butter and eggs, followed by half the milk. Mix well after each addition. Add the remaining dry ingredients and rest of the milk.
5. Stir in the stewed rhubarb so it is mixed evenly. Pour into prepared loaf tin and sprinkle flaked almonds on the top.
6. Bake in the middle of the oven for 50-60 mins. When cooked the sponge should be firm to the touch or a skewer inserted to the middle should come out clean. Allow loaf to cool for a while before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.