Mushroom risotto with sautéed Jerusalem artichokes
|Prep time||30 minutes|
|Cooking time||1 hour|
|Total time||1 hour, 30 minutes|
Mushroom risotto gets an upgrade with golden chanterelle mushrooms, earthy Jerusalem artichokes and a crunchy Parmesan crisp. Divine.
1 lchicken stock
1 Tolive oil
1onion (finelt chopped )
500 gJerusalem artichokes
75 gUnsalted butter, softened
2fresh sprigs of tyhme
1 bnfresh rocket
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
- To make the Parmesan crisps, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Put a circular cutter onto the tray and sprinkle the Parmesan inside. Repeat until you have four circles of Parmesan. Bake for 3–8 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Leave to cool.
- Pour the stock into a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Melt 75g/2½oz butter, then fry the mushrooms until slightly coloured and any moisture released has evaporated. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 75g/2½oz butter and the oil in the same pan, add the onion and fry gently for 10–12 minutes, or until soft. Add the rice and stir until coated.
- Pour in the wine and let it bubble until almost evaporated. Start adding the warm stock, about two ladlefuls at a time, stirring constantly and ensuring all of it is absorbed before adding more. Continue adding stock for 15–20 minutes, stirring all the time, until the rice is tender and has a creamy coating. Set aside.
- For the artichokes, heat a sauté pan over a low heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the artichokes and cook for 5–7 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for 3–5 minutes, or until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a shallow pan of salted water over a medium heat, bring to a simmer and poach the eggs. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper
- Return the risotto to the heat, add the knob of butter, cooked mushrooms and Parmesan and gently stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the risotto to serving plates, top with the sautéed artichokes, poached egg and Parmesan, drizzle with the oil and garnish with the Parmesan crisp and serve with the rocket.
Equipment: You will need a circular cutter.