Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest
|Prep time||40 minutes|
|Cooking time||45 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour, 25 minutes|
Lovely and warming with some fresh crusty bread.
1 TRapeseed or olive oil
3Large fennel bulbs
500 mlVegetable stock
4 Tcreme fraiche
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the shallots or onion and sweat gently for a few minutes.
- Add the fennel and celeriac, stir well, then cover and sweat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the orange zest, stock and some salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes until all the veg is tender.
- Purée the soup in a blender until completely smooth, adding a touch more stock or water to loosen the consistency if necessary.
- You may have to blend longer than usual to blitz out all the fibres from the fennel, but it shouldn’t be necessary to pass the soup through a sieve.
- Reheat the soup if necessary, check the seasoning and serve, with a good blob of crème fraîche on top, a few fennel fronds if you have them, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.